Blogger Widgets

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Homemade ♥ Bird Suet


If you like to feed the birds and you buy bird suet, this is a fun, easy project to do with the kids (especially when your arm gets tired of stirring, you can have them help ) :)  I usually end up just using my hands to mix the suet because it gets really thick and hard to stir! This is where the kids like to get their hands dirty, by squishing their hands in it...
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Tufted Titmouse
If you have used the store bought suet feeders you know they tend to melt in the summer, mine don't melt


Suet Feeder attract Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Chickadees, and Titmice. The Sparrows, at least the ones at my house are always trying to eat this suet! My husband made me a suet hanger(see below) to make it more difficult for some birds (that I don't want, Black Birds, Grackles etc) to hang on there, as they have to hang upside down to eat from this. Also it keeps it dry.
I had some  unusual  visitors to my suet cake the last couple of days, a Eastern Bluebirds Family! ♥♥ They usually don't eat suet, they like insects and berry's. I know somebody who is going to be making me some Bluebird Houses ;)




One of my suet feeders....Looks like I need to refill soon :)
UPDATE 4-2-12  Today I made my 3rd batch of this suet since my original post!!! Almost a month ago... 5-6 suet cakes! The bluebirds and the cardinals are going crazy for this lol They are going to eat me out of house and home :) My 2nd and 3rd batch I added some Grapenuts cereal (off brand) to the mix, it seems to be a hit!!!

Here is what you need:

1 Cup of Vegetable Shortening
1 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 1/2 Cup of Oat Meal
1/2 Cup of either Corn Meal, Grits, or Corn Meal
1/4 Cup of Flour
1/2 Cup of Raisins 
1 Cup of Bird Seed (any kind..wild bird, sunflower etc)
1 Tablespoon of Sugar

Mix this up if its still to sticky add more Oat Meal, or Corn Meal, or Bird Seed. If its to dry add a lil Peanut Butter or Shortening.
I usually don't use a measuring cup, so I'm pretty much just guessing on these measurements, so you'll just have to play with it little.

* If you have problems with squirrels add some Cayenne Pepper,it won't bother the birds but the squirrels don't like it! :p 

I usually use one of the store bought suet containers as the form, but it got thrown away recently :'( so I just use a square Tupperware container that's about the same size. This makes about 2 cakes, because I really mash it down in there :)  
If you have any left over, you can make a suet ball or two and put it in the mesh bag that oranges come in.



I store the second suet cake in the freezer, in a Ziplock baggie. They don't usually last very long once they find it....

Happy Bird watching :D

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have come across your blog! I enjoy bird watching and will make the suet cakes today! Last year I took a great pic of a Robin feeding her babies. Its a close up in the nest. Its one of my favorites. THANK YOU. Sandy, Minn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy, glad you are enjoying the blog :)
    Recently I watched a male Cardinal feed either its mate or baby some of my homemade suet cake... made me feel good ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you figured out how much each cake costs to make? Including your time to make it. I can buy cakes at a local farm store 2/$1 when they are on sale, and .75 - .99 when they are regular price.
    When they are on sale, I stock up and put the extras in the freezer.
    I realize there is that sense of accomplishment when you make your own but cost has to figure in also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not figured up the cost. I just know that when I put a store bought vs. homemade out, the birds went to the homemade lol

      Delete
  4. You have to keep in mind when you make HOMEMADE you know the ingredients thats being giving. Alot of premade suets are full of un nessary ungredients! Plus its just fun make them!!
    Thanks for this recipe! I made my first batch today so the birds will get their new kind of home made food (I also make my own but with different ingredients) in a couple days!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Yes, I love seeing the birds go crazy for the homemade cakes! Also these homemade cakes don't melt in the sun,I know some of the store bought did melt,Idk if they have made some that don't melt by now (its been a long time since I have bought some at the store)With the heat here in Alabama you need some that don't melt.
      Would you mind sharing your recipe?
      Carol

      Delete
  5. I look forward to trying my hand at this. Thanks for listing the ingredients you used. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome!
      Its easy! All except for the stirring lol
      Let me know how it turns out

      Delete
  6. Hi Carol,
    Your recipe looks fun and easy. I love feeding the birds and watching them in my garden. Such a relaxing endeavor. I will mix up some of your suet mix for my feathered friends really soon. Thank you for your creative and simple recipe.
    Regards,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen,
      Thanks, I love watching them too! They can be so funny sometimes!
      You could also mix other things in, for variety, although I don't think they would get sick of it! lol
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, I love comments, and will read & respond to every one!

** I screen the comments as they come in, if you don't see yours right away, its because I have to publish it. Sorry, it helps cut down on the spam comments.**

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...