Blogger Widgets

Sunday, March 11, 2012

How To Sterilize Thistle Seed


I love feeding the birds! But I don't like attracting some of the more aggressive birds or the bigger birds. I use specialized feeders to attract certain birds, that I DO want. I use a Upside Down Feeder (seen below)


Feeding hole is located on the bottom of the perch.
Thus enters the Thistle Seed... Thistle Seed resembles small grains of wild rice. Its high in fat and protein, that Goldfinches, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Titmice, Purple Finches, House Finches, Mourning Doves, & Juncos LOVE! ♥♥

If you have ever bought Thistle Seed you may have had a problem with it germinating! I have bought Wild Birds Unlimited Nyjer Seed and it is sterilized already, but its very expensive
I have bought cheaper brands and had some germinate, but there is a difference between Nyjer Seed and Thistle... Nyjer seed is already sterilize before its brought into the USA. 
Thistle is very HARD to get rid of once its growing in your yard. Recently I tried to purchase it at a local Co-op but the man said they don't sell it because once it takes hold in the farmers fields its really hard to get under control! :(  I can vouch for this, as I was constantly fighting Thistle at my old home up north. It was a battle that I lost!!  So I wanted to find out how to sterilize the thistle so it won't grow
There are two methods to sterilize, Microwave or Oven
These methods work for other types of seed that may grow under your feeder also...

What you will need:
1.Small to Med. size Paper  bag
2. Seed

Microwave Method
Fill the paper bag 1/3 to 1/2 way full cut or fold down the sides. Place in microwave (make sure bag is wide open) Cook on high for 3-5 minutes. Let it cool before you fill the feeder. 
It took mine about a half hour to cool down.









Oven Method
Pre heat oven to 300 degrees. Spread seed out on a cookie sheet, and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool for 30 minutes before filling feeder.

Oh and BTW, this doesn't smell the best :p so either open some windows when you do it, or burn some incense or something lol  


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I JUST READ YOUR ARTICLE ON THISTLES AND A SHOCK WENT OFF IN MY HEAD.I JUST SPENT MOST OF TODAY--GUESS WHAT--PULLING UP MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF THISTLES.MY HUSBAND HAS COMMENTED THAT OUR NEIGHBORS DON'T GET NEARLY AS MANY AS WE DO.AND I JUST REALIZED IT IS MY FAULT.I FEED THE BIRDS,THE SQUIRRELS AND WHAT EVER ELSE WANDERS IN OUR YARD.DON'T TELL MY HUBAND......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol your secret is safe with me ;)
      I think the roots of thistle go to china that is one tough weed to get rid of!! ugh

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much ~ this is invaluable information! I, too, love feeding the birds but now have a thriving crop of thistle all over our lawns and garden beds. We are forced to spray with Roundup and hope if we are diligent, we can eradicate the evil little beast weed! I thought I was buying sterilized seed but apparently not. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy sterilized seed from Wild Birds Unlimited, that never grew any thistle, but it got expensive, with how fast my goldfinches went through it!
      I hate thistle!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, I love comments, and will read & respond to every one!

** I screen the comments as they come in, if you don't see yours right away, its because I have to publish it. Sorry, it helps cut down on the spam comments.**

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...