Blogger Widgets

Thursday, March 29, 2012

EASY Shepherd's Pie


This was the first time I have made this dish, it was a request from my husband who's grandmother had made it when he was younger. So I did a little research and found a few recipes and went with my own version/tasteChris remembers his grandmother's little different than my version or the versions I had seen online...she probably just made her own version and made more layers. :) In my search I found a lot of different versions. Some called for Worcestershire sauce and I'm going to try that next time. 

Shepherd's Pie was a dish made with Lamb or Mutton. BTW if you don't know what Mutton is, its a older Sheep (don't feel bad, I had to look it up lol) The origin was that shepherds were concerned with Sheep, not Cattle. American's usually use Beef and that version of the dish, is called "Cottage Pie" But I'll just call it Shepherd's Pie since most people know what that is... For those of you who don't, its a Meat Pie covered in a crust of Mashed Potatoes. And as I found out, So Very! Good!! and easy, and we like easy ;)




Here is what you need:
Depending on the size of casserole dish you use...
I used a 8 x 11.5 baking dish (to small!!)
Approximately 2 Lbs. of Ground Beef
1/2 Cup each of either fresh, frozen or canned Veggies that you prefer. I used frozen corn and canned peas and carrots that I froze the extra from a earlier recipe. 
4-5 Large Potatoes or Instant Potatoes. I used Instant because this is a easy version :) And I didn't have any Idaho Potatoes. You can use any potatoes that you prefer.
Jar or can of Gravy
1/2 cup of Sour Cream
1/8 Teaspoon of Onion Powder (or fresh 1/2 Cup chopped,and cooked with the beef)...My Hubby doesn't like Onions :)

Corn, Gravy, Sour Cream, Peas, Carrots
Mozzarella-Mild Cheddar mix


Use Fresh

Or use Instant
         
 
              Or use


Preheat oven to 400 degree's.

Cook the ground beef and drain.

In a bowl combine cooked Meat, Gravy, Sour Cream...fold in the veggies,until mixed well.


Spread the  Meat mixture in Casserole Dish


Add a layer of Cheese, then a layer of Potatoes



Put on middle rack in oven for about 30 min. until golden, hot and bubbly.
Next time I'm going to use a bigger, deeper pan because mine bubbled over :/



**Also a word of caution if you would like yours browned more on top, don't put a glass dish under the broiler! it will crack!! 
I'm going to use my 13x9 metal cake pan next time so I can brown mine more and so it won't bubble over.... hopefully ;)


YUM!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, I love comments, and will read & respond to every one!

** I screen the comments as they come in, if you don't see yours right away, its because I have to publish it. Sorry, it helps cut down on the spam comments.**

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...