Blogger Widgets

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mom's Chili





We had a tradition growing up in my family, we always had Mom's Chili on Christmas Eve.  Most everyone liked it, then the others (you know who you are) grew up and loved it! Then they couldn't wait for grandma's chili !! And proceeded to stuff themselves after that!
She always served Saltines, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Corn Bread, & Grandma's Jello Salad...oh! and Black Olives (mom had to cover these, or they'd all be gone before dinner, we ALL loved them!) she also had dessert... later, once your chili settled, waiting for the kids to go to sleep so Santa could come...

I always looked forward to that, even when we got older... & I miss it now! (•̪●)   Good times! ♥
This never fails to warm you up on a cold winter night...
Here is what you need:

1 1/2 lbs. of Ground Beef (you could also use Ground Turkey or Ground Chicken also)
1 Small Bell Pepper
1 Small Onion (I used sweet onions)

2 Cans (46 oz.) of Tomato Juice (any brand)
4-5 Cans Of Dark Red Kidney Beans (you could use light kidney beans if you like, sometimes I'll mix half light half dark) (any brand)
1 Can of Stewed Tomatoes (any brand)

Chili Powder
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Sour Cream (optional)
Saltines or Oyster Crackers (optional)






I cut my Bell Pepper and Onion up in big chunks so its easier for my hubby to pick them out... You can cut them to any size you would like.

In skillet brown Ground Beef, Onion, & Bell Pepper




Drain thoroughly...
Once drained put ground beef mixture in either a crock pot or medium to large pot.




Add Both cans of Tomato Juice..



Then add the Kidney Beans & Stewed Tomatoes...



Now this is the part that I have never measured, but I started with 1/3 cup of Chili Powder.
When my mom told me this recipe, she said "Keep adding Chili powder till you get a nice brownish color" so...I'm going to tell YOU that too. :) 

I ended up adding more chili powder,after the 1/3 cup, till it looked right to me, so use your own discretion. Some of you might think this is spicy, but its not! Not at all, I don't like super spicy food and You know what they say, if its hot going in, then its hot coming out...  ツ
Really, its just gooood!




So... once you have a nice brownish color, and you have stirred it really well, turn your crock pot on high for at least 2 hours, then turn it down to low and cook on low for the rest of the day. If your cooking on the stove, bring it to a boil for a few minutes, then turn it down to a simmer...
I start mine in the morning and usually don't eat till after 6 and its usually "done" by then. (its really done before that, but the longer it cooks the better it is!!)

By the way, this ALWAYS tastes better on the second day ;) 



Add some Crackers, or not




Add some cheese and a dollop of sour cream (I forgot to buy the sour cream!)
These are both optional... 





I usually can only have one bowl, I always add so many crackers and some cheese that it fills me up to fast ;)

You can half this recipe, because this makes a lot! It would probably serve 4 people, two meals, or more.

Enjoy....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, I love comments, and will read & respond to every one!

** I screen the comments as they come in, if you don't see yours right away, its because I have to publish it. Sorry, it helps cut down on the spam comments.**

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...