Blogger Widgets

Friday, April 20, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent & Vinegar Rinsing Aid


I  have been wanting to make this for awhile but I waited until my store bought detergent was gone, and I did a lot of research on it first!  Well yesterday I went and purchase everything that I needed, I used the last of my Cascade. (finally) ;)
I always like to save money anywhere I can, and this seems like one way to do it... I do a load of dishes probably every other day, maybe every three days, this homemade dishwasher detergent will last forever!! And the cost savings is going to be great!!
I do, however rinse my dishes before they go in the dishwasher, I have to, since I don't run it daily. I would hate to have to rewash everything (and waste water) because of stuck on food
Some of you may have to do some adjusting on the salt, either a little more, or a little less...depending on how hard or soft your water is. 
BTW Salt also acts as a scouring agent to scrub your dishes.

Substitutes: 
Washing Soda - Baking Soda (doesn't work as well, so I've heard)
Kosher Salt     - Epsom Salt 
Citric Acid       - LemiShine, or Fruit Fresh or Lemon flavored Unsweetened 
                       Kool-Aid...*note* Kool-Aid will stain your dishwasher!
Borax             - No Substitute 



Here is what you need:
1 Cup of Borax
1 Cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup of Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup of Citric Acid (can be found in the canning isle or at Amazon)
White Vinegar
6 to 8 drops of Dawn Dish Soap per dispenser (see edit below)

**edit 5-24-2012 ~ I'm pretty sure I saw the "Finish" brand dishwasher soap that had some Dawn in it for "grease fighting action" lol ....so that gave me an idea (light bulb) I tried putting some Dawn in the pre-wash dispenser AND in the main wash dispenser...I used anywhere from 6-8 drops per dispenser. I just add the drops after I put the powder in each dispenser. It works great!! It didn't suds up to much, and my dishes are really clean. I'm not sure I would use anymore than that, maybe experiment and add one more drop to each dispenser... I'm going to try.

** Edit 6-13-2012 ~ 9 drops in each dispenser...there is a little suds,but not to much,I think I'll stop here, before I'm sorry :) It works good,my dishes are clean!
** Edit #2 on 6-13-2012 ~ I also noticed that the Borax? does not mix well with aluminum, I have a cheese cutter that has a aluminum handle that looked a little corroded,so I'll be washing that by hand. But it also did it with regular store bought dishwasher soap also.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Store in Air Tight container, in a cool dry place. (I will not be putting mine under the sink lol )
You can double or triple this recipe if you like.


Just a word of warning, this does tend to clump because of the Citric Acid, with that being said I am adding my Citric Acid when I run the dishwasher.

Tips to Avoid Clumping:
Add 1/2 teaspoon Citric Acid separately to each dishwasher load. (This is what I'm doing, and I'm splitting it between the pre-wash and the main wash dispensers)
1/2 teaspoon added separately to dishwasher 
Put some White Rice in panty hose (knee high's) tie a knot,cut off the majority of the "tail", and store in the container with the detergent.


* Add a couple Silica Gel Packets to the Detergent Container (This is what I wanted to do, but of coarse I couldn't find any when I needed them!) 
You can find these usually in Vitamin bottles, or in a shoe box etc., you know they are everywhere...except when you need them!!

Wash Dispenser/ Pre-Wash Dispenser:
Add 1 rounded Tablespoon, divided between the  pre-wash dispenser and the main wash dispenser. You can add a little more if you like, but I think less is more in this case. 




Rinse Dispenser:
* Add White Vinegar to the fill line in the Rinse Aid Dispenser (this should last about a month with regular use.(In the past I have added a drop or two of blue food coloring to the vinegar, if you have a viewing indicator window on the dispenser, it makes it easier to see how full it is I don't have one anymore. :(
* Also I add 1/2 Cup  to the bottom of the dishwasher before each load, it helps clean the dishes AND the dishwasher. And your dishes come out crystal clear! If you have hard water it helps with the lime build up on the heating element, and every where else inside the dishwasher for that matter!


I am happy with the results, I didn't have spots and my dishes came out with some bling ;) lol  Even my plastic cups came out with shine! 
Look at that shine! ;)

This is safe for any type of  dishwasher, including Stainless Steel Interior  Dishwasher's.

Now I can't wait to make my own Laundry Detergent....coming soon

 6-13-2012 ~ Link to Homemade Laundry Detergent(s)  :)





  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Carol, I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be sorry, I'm still using it, and I love it! I've tweaked it so I know how much Dawn is just enough, so there isn't to many suds, but it still cuts grease.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, I love comments, and will read & respond to every one!

** I screen the comments as they come in, if you don't see yours right away, its because I have to publish it. Sorry, it helps cut down on the spam comments.**

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...