Blogger Widgets

Friday, April 13, 2012

Crock Pot Red Beans & Rice



I've been wanting to make this so I could add it to the blog, and my husband said "but its more like a cold weather dish"... well the other day (4-11-12) it decided to cool down a bit here (65 degrees hehehe, Hey! 65 is cold when you get used to 75-80 degree weather ) so it was a perfect day to make it ;) And we are having it again for leftovers, because its on the chilly side again (the next day) :D warmer than Wed. though... but it doesn't matter to me, I think it would be yummy any time... its a nice comfort food. I served ours with Corn Bread Muffins. VERY filling!





Here is what you will need:
This serves  at least 4 people
1 lb. + of Ground Beef
1 package of Sausage (your choice, I used Eckrich Beef Smoked Sausage )
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
1 16 oz Can, and 1 27 oz. Can of Bush's Chili Beans (you can substitute with any Mexican style Chili Beans)
1 Cup of Rice (not instant or Minute Rice)
*may need a small can of Tomato Sauce just in-case

Brown your Ground Beef, drain, Pour into crock pot, Cut up Sausage into quarters, put in crock, add Beans, Diced Tomatoes, and Rice. Stir. You don't have to pre-cook the rice it will cook and absorb all the flavors of everything else. :)




Set your temperature on High for at least an hour, stir occasionally to make sure its not losing to much moisture. If its losing moisture, you can add some *Tomato Sauce or some water, but you don't want to dilute with water to much or you'll lose your flavor. Its suppose to be somewhat thick, not soupy.


This is what it looks like when it's all put together, before cooking, it will thicken up as it cooks.
I had mine on high for about an hour,then turned it down to low for the rest of the time, for a total of about 4 hours.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, I love comments, and will read & respond to every one!

** I screen the comments as they come in, if you don't see yours right away, its because I have to publish it. Sorry, it helps cut down on the spam comments.**

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...